Every season, at least one coaching friend asks my advice on influencing parents to do something differently and/or change their behavior.
The most frequent example is getting parents to stop coaching from the sidelines. Influencing people that you don’t control to change their behavior is extremely difficult – but not impossible.
In his seminal book, How to Win Friends and Influence People author Dale Carnegie argues that you can change other people’s behavior simply by changing your own.
It teaches you the principles to better understand people, become a more likable person, improve relationships, win others over, and influence behavior through leadership.
These lessons are as relevant today as they were in 1936 when the book was first published.
Personally, I read this book each year and strongly recommend it to everyone, especially youth soccer coaches. There are so many great lessons in the book. One of the most important is:
When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity.
5 Ways This Book Will Instantly Help You
1. Develop new perspectives and ideas to improve your coaching methodology and better connect with your players.
By seeking out new ideas and perspectives, you can continually improve your coaching approach and provide your players with fresh and innovative training techniques.
2. Build a strong reputation for producing talented players.
By developing a track record of producing talented players, you can attract more families and have a greater positive impact.
3. Master the art of persuasion and communication, allowing you to effectively advocate for your coaching techniques and get others to buy into your vision.
Mastering the art of persuasion can help you motivate your players, secure support for your ideas and initiatives, and build a strong following of dedicated players and fans.
4. Develop strong leadership skills that enable you to manage your team effectively and accomplish your goals.
Effective leadership skills can help you manage your team more efficiently, create a positive team culture, and build a strong foundation for long-term success.
5. Understand and apply the principles of psychology to your coaching approach, improving your ability to connect with players and influence their performance.
Understanding the principles of psychology can help you better understand your players, identify their strengths and weaknesses, and develop training programs that are tailored to their individual needs and learning styles.
Read this to learn more.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *